Sunday 14 July 2013

A room of one's own...

...part two.  The furniture.

Unfortunately my room isn't as big as my the study that inspired me so in terms of furniture I had to be a little more restrained.  I knew I wanted a desk, some shelves and a comfortable chair.

I wavered between a dark wood desk, like the one in the photo below, or a white desk similar to the one on Emily's blog.  I am on a budget though so either way it wasn't going to be an expensive piece.



One Saturday Mr E and I drove past a furniture sale in our local church yard and I found a rather ugly table that just happened to be the right size and upon closer inspection was actually a rather nice shape. It was the princely sum of £15 so I snapped it up along with a little wall mounted shelf which was the grand total of £3.

I decided to keep an open mind about the table and its eventual colour until I'd had the chance to strip off some of the dark varnish and see what the wood was like underneath.  It wasn't up to much so the paint came out and it was transformed into the lovelier piece that you see before you.  A full before and after post will follow.



The shelves also had a lick of paint and now look rather super against the pink walls.



I'm still working on my other shelves so they will follow in due course and I am searching for the right fabric to recover the chair.  But that aside I am super pleased with things so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment