Monday 29 July 2013

DIY - a rather ugly table gets an update

This little desk found its way to me through fortunate coincidence.  I was looking for a desk for my study and had trawled eBay, stalked Freecycle but all to no avail.  Mr E & I were driving past our local church when I noticed a furniture sale, I persuaded him to stop and let me have a little look and there it was.  Unloved, an ugly colour but the right size, a pretty shape and only £15.  




I had hoped that I'd be able to strip off the original varnish and restore the wood, however after a vigorous afternoon spent with Nitromorse and steel wool it seemed that the wood underneath wasn't up to much.  Painting it was then.  I didn't really fancy stripping off the rest of the varnish so decided to try chalk paint.  It alleged that you could paint over anything - no need to sand, no need to undercoat.


I had read so many rave reviews of the paint that I was expecting to fall in love with it instantly.  To be honest I didn't really like it that much.  It was super thick and rather like painting with cream cheese.  Still it did the job! It's a little more shabby chic than I was hoping for but all in all I am pretty pleased.

I changed the handles for some Laura Ashley glass ones that I picked up in the charity shop and lined the drawers with some scented papers.








I've added a rather fetching pen pot and letter rack and it all looks lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment