Friday 25 March 2011

Black Velvet...

Yesterday I visited another plant nursery, this one though a very different proposition to Pertersham.  This visit related to my real job and took me to the Ball Colegrave trial nursery just outside Banbury.

This is where they test all the seeds and cuttings to make sure that they flower at the right time and in the right colour.  (I am sure that there are many other far more scientific reasons but that was what I managed to glean!)  They also breed new plants, one of which is the Black Velvet Petunia.  I will freely admit that my knowledge of all things horticultural is not quite what it should be, and I certainly wouldn't class myself as green fingered, but I do love flowers and plants and trees and grasses.

And who wouldn't be impressed by this beautiful plant.  The flower looks so sumptuous and soft, as if when you touched it it would indeed be velvet.  It is the most striking and elegant bedding plant I have seen and I love the combination of it planted with the delicate white flower below.

Now if only I had the wherewithal to add something like that to my garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment