Thursday 1 September 2011

Les vacances...a round up

Unfortunately I failed miserably to complete my final holiday post before the bank holiday weekend over took me.  And I have so much to say.  About food.

Oh, the food!  We ate so well, cheese and rillettes and croissants and ice cream.  The list goes on, and on, and on.  St. Jean de Luz has a wonderful food market, Les Halles, which was our first stop.  We stocked up on local cheese and pate and piles of crusty bread.  The market is host to around wonderful selection of stalls and an equally wonderful restaurant.  La Buvette des Halles spills out from the covered market onto the street and serves a simple menu of fresh produce directly from the stalls.

We tried some super restaurants over the course of the week and gorged on Basque specialities.  We particularly enjoyed the Gateaux Basque, a kind of pastry cake hybrid filled with an almond custard. I have found a recipe and am going to attempt to recreate it one weekend.

I think that the culinary highlight for me was the tiny cliff top cafe that served the most incredible moules & frites.  I'd happily hop back on a plane every weekend for a portion of them!

And so the holiday posts come to an end, not really because I have run out of things to say, but more because I have so many other things that I want to share.




No comments:

Post a Comment